How to Claim for Pothole Damage

Pot Holes are a rising challenge for councils across the UK. This is because of the damage they can cause to vehicles and the potential accidents they can cause.

If your vehicle incurs damage from a pothole, here is what you should do to claim for damage to your vehicle.

  1. Check for damage.

If you hit a significant pothole and think there may be damage, pull over as soon as it is safely possible to do so and assess the obvious damage done to your wheels and tyres.

Damage isn’t always obvious on first glance. If you notice any changes to the way your car is driving have it checked by a garage or tyre specialist as soon as possible.

  1. Take Notes

It is important that you take notes. Relying on your memory may seem like a good idea at the time but if you can’t recall exact details your claim won’t be processed

Take pictures of the pothole with another object to show the size of it. A shoe or mobile phone can be used as comparison for the size/ depth of the pothole in question.

Take note of the exact location of the pothole.

  1. Report The Pothole

Make sure you report the pothole to your local council immediately so that they can arrange repairs so that other incidents can be prevented.

  1. Repair Your Vehicle

Once you have receives quotes and repaired the vehicle make sure you keep all receipts, invoices, quotes and copy them for use in the supporting of your claim.

  1. Make The Claim

Once those steps have been carried out, it is time to make the claim.

Write to the correct council including all the details you’ve collected and copies of your receipts, invoices and quotes.

The local council cannot be held responsible for a pothole they did not know about, which is why it is crucial to report the pothole as soon as damage is incurred.

  1. Make an Appeal

It is the law for councils to inspect and repair roads.

If your claim is rejected and you feel it is unjustified, you can ask to see details of the council’s road inspection reports the attempt to claim again.

If the damage costed a large amount, you can contact your insurance company or seek legal advice.

Author Bio

Gavin Mcgee is a car dealer and enthusiast. Having been connected to cars since his childhood Gavin knows a lot about various cars, their makers, models, servicing and is willing to share his knowledge with others and help them solve any problems they might have related to automobiles and motorycles.